Jacko45

Anyone still believe Jay-Roy Grot has talent?

Recommended Posts

Jacko45

Sorry but this lad has clearly been given opportunities due to his size and perceived athleticism. 

 

BUT

 

He's honestly one of the weakest players I've ever seen in the air, has seemingly zero positional awareness, also totally terrible on the ball. 

 

I understand he's quite young but you can see if someone has raw ability, this lad doesn't.

 

Finally how knackered was he after 30 mins at Preston? He was blowing out of his arse.

 

Will drop off face of the earth after us I'm sure of it. 

 

Thoughts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harfynn Teuport

He won't make it here, but yes I do think he has some talent.

 

I think he has been handled appallingly since he arrived - should have spent the season in the U-23s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
andyn2001

Isn't he only 19? I would say rushed into first team too early, loan him out to League 1 or 2 for a season, and see how he gets on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RadebeTheChief
2 minutes ago, andyn2001 said:

Isn't he only 19? I would say rushed into first team too early, loan him out to League 1 or 2 for a season, and see how he gets on.

 

and to a side that agree to play him through the middle and on the wing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kaputz
1 minute ago, andyn2001 said:

Isn't he only 19? I would say rushed into first team too early, loan him out to League 1 or 2 for a season, and see how he gets on.

 

Although I agree that getting him loaned out can't do any harm, I don't believe that being 19 is an excuse. Plenty of lads his age and younger doing the business and he's had first team experience both here and at his previous club. He's just shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy B

Think he has some talent – whether we get to see it is a different matter.  He’s still very young and learning the game – needs to be playing regularly though, and should be sent out to a league 1 side on loan next season…  There have been glimpses of what he can do – u23 games he’s looked ok.  Think it’s down to him and whether he can get his attitude sorted – if not, don’t think he’ll make it – if he prepared to graft, then there’s an outside chance – would rather him over Lassoga personally who looks like he’d rather be anywhere in the world rather than on the pitch for us..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cosmic16

He has the physical attributes just doesn’t know how to use them. Chris Wood last season was unreal in general terms in how he used his physicality but a completely different level to the season before. Grot can be trained on how to get the best out of those physical attributes with good training because the attributes exist. It’s his general play that I’m more worried about. He is crap on the ball and has shown no natural ability to take on a player, direct a header, make attacking runs or finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack Burton

The way we’ve handled him has been ridiculous. Clearly isn’t ready for the first team and should’ve been loaned out to league one/two straight away to see if he could hack it but for some reason Orta/Christiansen saw him as a first team footballer. He shouldn’t be taking up a spot in the U23’s either I don’t think. Cut our losses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harfynn Teuport
1 minute ago, Andy B said:

Think he has some talent – whether we get to see it is a different matter.  He’s still very young and learning the game – needs to be playing regularly though, and should be sent out to a league 1 side on loan next season…  There have been glimpses of what he can do – u23 games he’s looked ok.  Think it’s down to him and whether he can get his attitude sorted – if not, don’t think he’ll make it – if he prepared to graft, then there’s an outside chance – would rather him over Lassoga personally who looks like he’d rather be anywhere in the world rather than on the pitch for us..

Agree there just doesn't seem any point to playing him for the remaining games. He won't be here next season, he doesn't look interested until the ball is in the 18 yard box and, with the players we have at the minute, it's not going to get there unless he can contribute a bit more in the build up.

 

He is another where I think there is a player in there, but I'm not sure he's motivated enough to turn it on for us because I suspect he feels this level is slightly below him. Certain parts of his game are of exceptional quality, but the two you need to lead the line on your own in this division (work rate and physicality) are not among them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jacko45
Just now, BornAndBred said:

He's more an athlete than a footballer... 

 

He's not that. 

 

Looks physically fit but looks constantly knackered.

 

Also never seen a player less positionally aware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leedscastle

I don't get why he kept getting cameo roles on a regular basis when it was clear to everyone that he needed to learn the English game in U23 , this was one of the questions that I asked  months ago to get put to the Q & A that never happened. 

I know a 10 minute spell here and there doesn't show off someone's ability as much as on the training pitch but I don't buy it , he had the opportunity to show us how unshit he was and didn't take it . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evs

Beckford looked utterly hopeless in his Championship appearances before we were relegated. I wouldn't say I think Grot has talent but he has potential if coached in the right way. He's never going to be a world beater but neither was Beckford - he just became very efficient after being well coached.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goodtimeswillreturn

Unrealistic expectations have been placed on the lad. He was thrown in at the deep end into a shit team and his inexperience has shown up the lack of talents that he could have developed had he been nurtured for an extended run in the u-23. 

 

He he deserves the chance to develop and he should not be made a scapegoat for a shit team, shit manager and shit director of football. I would definitely give the lad a full season and with proper coaching, if there is a player in there, we will hopefully get to see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bluejam

The guy when he comes on doesn't even try. He strolls around the pitch and when he does finally jump for a header barely gets off the ground. It doesn't take skill to actually put some effort in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wilmslowwhite

If you remember when we signed him the club did a promotional video of the lump wandering through the corridors and out on to the pitch.

 

Would suggest the club expected more from him. 

 

He shouldn't get anywhere near the first team squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jacko45
1 minute ago, bluejam said:

The guy when he comes on doesn't even try. He strolls around the pitch and when he does finally jump for a header barely gets off the ground. It doesn't take skill to actually put some effort in. 

 

Totally agree, wanders around in random positions on field.

 

Doesn't press without the ball, then when he's got it runs into blind alleys and he's knackered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
northlancsleeds

One of the worst ever players to wear the famous shirt. I don't buy into this 'he's still young' , 'if coached right' bullshit . Any player in pro foootball shows at a young age whether they have talent or not. This bloke's fucking shit. He's had  enough chances now it's time he was fucked off .

:(

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jacko45
2 minutes ago, northlancsleeds said:

One of the worst ever players to wear the famous shirt. I don't buy into this 'he's still young' , 'if coached right' bullshit . Any player in pro foootball shows at a young age whether they have talent or not. This bloke's fucking shit. He's had  enough chances now it's time he was fucked off .

:(

   

 

:fumup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leeds1992

At his age, he's about right given when he played for the U23s, he looked a step above.

Haven't been able to loan him out this season due to playing for us and his original side, year away getting 1st team football for someone like Bradford etc then go from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mystic
52 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Sorry but this lad has clearly been given opportunities due to his size and perceived athleticism. 

 

BUT

 

He's honestly one of the weakest players I've ever seen in the air, has seemingly zero positional awareness, also totally terrible on the ball. 

 

I understand he's quite young but you can see if someone has raw ability, this lad doesn't.

 

Finally how knackered was he after 30 mins at Preston? He was blowing out of his arse.

 

Will drop off face of the earth after us I'm sure of it. 

 

Thoughts? 

Fucking flat earthers.

I think he must have talent.  Played near enough a full season at a young age in a half-decent league.  He's played for the Dutch youth setup at two levels.  Despite their troubles, the senior team are still near to England in the world rankings.  If we bought a lad who was playing for England at those levels, we'd believe he must have some talent, right?

We evidently haven't seen the best of him yet and he surely must be doing some good things in training to find himself continually given the chance.  Transfermarket.com says he's played 275 minutes for Leeds.  Don't know if it's accurate but that's the equivalent of 3 matches.  It would be completely bonkers to make a firm judgement on him from 3 matches.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.